The Drone Field Operations Technician is responsible for piloting unmanned aircraft and conducting scientific field data acquisition in support of atmospheric measurement projects. As a field technician, you will be expected to travel frequently to measurement sites across North America to acquire high quality data in a safe, responsible, effective, and compliant manner. The Field Operations Technician takes direction from the Senior Scientist or Project Manager on a given project.
Description of Duties:
- Responsible for the safe and effective operation of unmanned quadcopters and hexacopters (DJI Matrice), including risk management and mitigation
- Responsible for transport of drones and equipment to and from measurement sites in the company-owned vehicle
- Take an active role in flight planning, especially with regard to flight safety, compliance, airspace reviews, and all other operations
- Data acquisition of atmospheric measurements using a variety of sensors and chemical analyzers to meet project requirements
- Ability and willingness to learn the atmospheric measurement instrumentation, methods, and data analysis used by Scientific Aviation
- Perform basic-to-moderate level programming in Python
- Problem-solving: solve real-time problems, both technical and mechanical, and perform limited equipment repairs in the field
- Represent Scientific Aviation with professionalism and a positive attitude. The Field Operations Technician will often be required to interact with high-profile clients on site.
- Travel: mobility and flexibility is required for this position. Travel will be 25-75% of the time, to locations throughout North America and potentially abroad, and often includes weekend days. The majority of Scientific Aviation’s drone measurement sites are in oil and gas production fields and are often in relatively rural locations.
- Part 107 certificate or ability to obtain one before starting work.
- Valid US Passport and Driver’s License
- Clean driving record
- Legal right to work in the U.S.
- Must pass a DOT pre-employment drug screen; subject to random drug screens
- Experience operating multi-rotor platforms
- Strong technical or scientific aptitude and interest (formal training/education in a science or engineering discipline is a bonus, but not required)
- Ability to travel regularly and work a non-standard work schedule
- Ability to work in a small team environment and take on other tasking as necessary to achieve mission goals
- Ability to communicate effectively and professionally with clients in the field
- Experience with Python programming language
Job Type: Full-time
Salary: $40,000.00 to $50,000.00 /year
23 days ago - source