ICTAS is seeking an Operations and Training Manager whose primary responsibility is to manage the day-to-day operations of Virginia Tech’s Drone Park, a netted flight facility for unmanned aircraft, and associated labs. The Operations and Training Manager will also develop, instruct, and update short course training curriculum for groups both internal and external to the university. This curriculum will include topics ranging from introductory to highly specialized operations of UAS. The Operations and Training Manager will be responsible for safe, effective, and efficient piloting of UAS; acting as crewmember and/or instructor for UAS operations; and may be called upon to provide technical support for aeronautical research with other university initiatives. The position will report to the UAS Safety Manager.
The incumbent is expected to exercise sound decision-making and problem-solving skills while interacting with internal and external UAS operators and training customers. The incumbent should be able to independently and effectively manage UAS training operations in diverse situations and field environments.
Responsibilities include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Drone Park facility management and scheduling
- Serve as a Flight Instructor for various small UAS
- Acting in various other UAS crewmember roles including Pilot-in-Command (PIC), Visual Observer (VO), and Aviation Safety Officer (ASO)
- Development and sustainment of UAS training courses and curriculum
- Maintenance of University training records
- Participate in university Safety Risk Management (SRM) processes
- Support crew certification and training programs
- Assist in flight operations and training scheduling
- Serve as a supporting university representative for official visits, presentations, and outreach for UAS topics
- Act as an aviation subject matter expert and resource for faculty, staff, students, and university affiliates
- Maintain the university flight training fleet through preventative maintenance and basic modifications/repairs
- Perform and supervise ground and flight instruction in accordance with all applicable regulations and University policy
- Assist faculty, staff, students, and university affiliates in developing flight training packages to support their disciplines and operations
- Conduct flight reviews, flight evaluations, and debriefings of University and affiliated UAS pilots
- Conduct pre-mission planning, evaluation and briefings
- Complete post mission requirements, reports and logging
- Contribute to safety, training, technical, and operations documentation
- Master’s Degree in an aviation or technical related field. An exception can be made for a Bachelors Degree in a related field with significant training and experience
- FAA Remote Pilot Certificate (Part 107) or ability to attain the FAA Remote Pilot Certificate upon hire
- Must be a U.S. citizen
- Must be able to effectively communicate verbally and in written form
- Experience in an instructional environment
- Extensive aviation background and knowledge
- Proficient RC flying skills
- Experience with curriculum development
Applications must be submitted online at http://www.jobs.vt.edu. The application package needs to include a resume, cover letter, names of three (3) references and their contact information. Review of applications will begin on the established review date and continue until the position is filled.Employee Category: Administrative and Professional Faculty Appointment Type: Restricted If restricted or temporary, enter end date: 6/30/2020 FLSA Status: Exempt: Not eligible for overtime Tenure Status: Non-Tenure Track Academic Year or Calendar Year: Calendar Year Percent Employment: Full-time If part time, enter Percent Time: Pay Range: Commensurate with experience Location: Blacksburg Department: Inst for Critical Technology & Applied Science Location, if not Blacksburg: Location Zip Code: 24061 Work Schedule: M-F Job Posting Date: 03/18/2019 Review Begin Date: 04/01/2019 Job Close Date: Restricted to university employees only? No Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Statement:
Virginia Tech does not discriminate against employees, students, or applicants on the basis of age, color, disability, sex (including pregnancy), gender, gender identity, gender expression, genetic information, national origin, political affiliation, race, religion, sexual orientation, or veteran status, or otherwise discriminate against employees or applicants who inquire about, discuss, or disclose their compensation or the compensation of other employees or applicants, or on any other basis protected by law.Reasonable Accommodation Statement:
If you are an individual with a disability and desire accommodation please contact the hiring department.
about 1 month ago - source
No longer accepting applications.